“Spread the Sign – Syria” is a European project aimed at supporting the educational needs of deaf Syrian migrants by adding the Syrian sign language to an already existing online educational tool “Spread the Sign” (www.spreadthesign.com). “Spread the Sign” is a free visual sign language dictionary on the web, launched in 2006, which currently includes more than 27 countries and 310,000 sign language videos.
Adding the Syrian sign language to the online dictionary will benefit Syrian deaf migrants, sign language teachers for adults and others interested to help this disadvantaged group of people. The “Spread the Sign” virtual library will be also expanded with the Greek, Cypriot and Bulgarian sign languages as these neighbouring countries to Syria and Turkey are in great need to support appropriately the hearing impaired Syrian migrants.
“Spread the Sign – Syria” is funded under the Erasmus+ programme for the period 2017-2020.
SPREAD THE SIGN – SYRIA aims to:
- support the social inclusion and integration of deaf/hearing impaired Syrian migrants
- provide equal educational opportunities to deaf/hearing impaired Syrian migrants and people with hearing disabilities from the partners countries
- raise awareness of the educational needs of these disadvantaged groups
- support adult educators in their work with hearing impaired people
- enrich the online visual dictionary “SPREAD THE SIGN” with video recordings of the Syrian, Greek, Cypriot and Bulgarian sign languages
- offer an open platform and App for sign language learning to people all over Europe
- organise national conferences to spread the project products and results
For more information on the project, please visit www.spreadthesign.com and https://www.facebook.com/spreadthesignofficial/.