“FALK: First Aid Language Kit for Migrants” is a European cooperation project aimed at making healthcare services more accessible for migrants through developing and upgrading language skills on medical issues in the host languages of 6 EU countries – Turkey, Bulgaria, Spain, the UK, the Czech Republic and Cyprus.
FALK is developing a First Aid Language Kit as a comprehensive multi-device language tool providing country-specific information on the healthcare systems of the host countries as well as health-related language skills for successfully seeking and receiving medical help. The Kit includes 3 separate elements each one providing medical language information for both autonomous learning and learning within formal and non-formal language courses – Medical Language Pyramid, Medical language study-videos and a Learning platform.
FALK can be of benefit to three groups of beneficiaries:
- Adult migrants (newcomers and resident migrants who lack health-specific language skills)
- Healthcare providers, especially medical staff working at refugee camps or temporary reception facilities
- Language educators providing language training to adult migrants
The project is funded under the Erasmus+ programme for the period 2017-2019.
- To improve language competences of adult migrants on healthcare matters in the host country language
- To facilitate the access to healthcare of adult migrants by providing them with country-specific information about the healthcare systems in 6 EU countries
- To develop innovative language products and thus to improve the capacities of organisations working for the integration, language training and welfare of migrants
- To support healthcare professionals to communicate efficiently with migrant patients and to improve the quality of the offered medical services
- Medical Language Pyramid in 12 languages as word and phrase glossary providing medical terminology in priority topics related to health problems of migrants
- Medical language study-videos in 6 languages providing visual and audio recreation of different medical scenarios for (self) language learning purposes
- Learning platform providing a Virtual Map on the healthcare systems of the partner countries in 12 languages and a Testing Ground for practicing language content in 6 languages
For more information on the project, please visit www.falkproject.eu